• Michael and Bryn Suchocki of Oregon are parents of a boy, Kelvin Augustus Suchocki, born March 31, 2009. He joins sister Elsie, 2. Grandparents are Martin and Marie Suchocki, Glendale.
• John and Karen (nee Johnson) Patterson of Mequon are parents of a daughter, Morgan Kathryn Patterson, born April 26, 2009, at Columbia/St. Mary's Hospital, Ozaukee County. She joins sibling Aidan Patterson. Grandparents are Barbara Patterson of Grafton and John Patterson of Livingstone, Texas, and Ray and Cecila Johnson of Racine. Great-grandparents are Lloyd Jenk and the late Catherine Jenk of Wauwatosa and Robert and Mary Ellen Johnson of Racine.
• Ian Meiksins of Whitefish Bay High School, will receive the Honor Award from Xavier University.
• Joseph Klett, a 2004 graduate of Whitefish Bay High School, graduated with a bachelor's degree in engineering and project management from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in December 2008. He is working as a project engineer for Price Erecting Co., West Allis.
• Andrew Zganjar, a 2007 Homestead High School graduate, was selected to the 2009 All-Wisconsin Academic Team by the Wisconsin Technical Colleges Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation and the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society.
• Shayla McGowan of Brown Deer received an Achievement Scholarship to Mount Mary College for the 2009-10 school year. The renewable award is given to students who have demonstrated leadership or success outside the classroom.
• Bryan Atlas of Bayside and Cara Thomas of Brown Deer were named to the fall 2008 dean's list at Lincoln University.
• Max Beckert, a graduate of Whitefish Bay High School, was named to the fall 2008 dean's list at University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and achieved a 4.0 GPA.
• Kristyn Webster of Brown Deer, a first-year at Southern Methodist University in Dallas, was named in the fall 2008 honor roll.
• Alison Gegios of Whitefish Bay was named to the winter quarter dean's list at the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences at Northwestern University.
• Ben Weston of Shorewood was named as the 2009 Presidential Scholar by the Wisconsin Medical Society Foundation and won a $3,000 scholarship. He is a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Medicine and Public Health and created the Healthy Classrooms Symposium in 2008.
• Randall Rennicke of Mequon received the Wall Street Journal Award for Concordia University Wisconsin's School of Business and Legal Studies.
• Tegan Shoener of Whitefish Bay was recognized for academic achievement at the St. Olaf College annual Honors Day convocation on May 1.
• Jacob Berger and Elan Lindenbaum of Fox Point, Luke Hillman and Rachel Nemcek of Mequon, Kate Guadagnino and Eileen Herden of Shorewood and Starr Moss of Whitefish Bay were initiated into the 2009 University of Wisconsin-Madison Alpha Chapter of the Phi Beta Kappa Society.
• Desiree Matel-Anderson of River Hills will graduate May 23 from Northern Illinois University with a juris doctor degree. She was a member of the Student Bar Association and served as a College of Law Ambassador. She was active in other organizations, including African Legal Aid Organization, Mock Trial and Moot Court Competition and Society. Also, she was named an Outstanding Woman Student Award recipient.
• Elizabeth Joseph of Whitefish Bay graduated from The University of Findlay on May 2.
• Ryan Bialk of Mequon graduated from Lakeshore Technical College on May 16.
• Vera Belazelkoska, a 2005 graduate of Whitefish Bay High School and a current senior at St. Olaf College, received a 2009-10 Ambassadorial Scholarship from the Rotary Foundation. With this award she will travel to Colombia, Argentina or Turkey, where she hopes to implement a micro lending program in correlation with a local non-governmental organization.
• Jacob Shermer, an eighth-grader at Shorewood Intermediate School, qualified for the state geography bee that was held April 3 in Madison.
• The following students won awards for the 2009 Reading Rainbow Young Writers and Illustrators Awards: Anna Hietpas, first place, first grade, "Pink Lady"; and Jack Hietpas, special merit, second grade, "Not Just a Box."
• The following University School of Milwaukee students were named as commended students in the 2009 National Merit Scholarship Program: David Short of Fox Point, Lane Florsheim, Sengyeon Lee and Anna Shimshak of Mequon, and Sam Krieg of River Hills.
• Eric Schwartz of Whitefish Bay High School was one of six Wisconsin high school students to earn 36, the highest possible score, on the February testing of the ACT. Only 46 students nationwide earned that score on the February test.
• Joseph Balistreri of Fox Point, a Marquette University High School student, was named a 2009 Wisconsin Presidential Scholar semifinalist.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Celebrations: May 9
- Celebrations: April 4
- Celebrations: March 28
- Celebrations: Feb. 21
- Celebrations: April 14
- Celebrations: Feb. 7
- Celebrations: Jan. 31
- Celebrations: Dec. 20
- Celebrations: Dec. 13
- Celebrations: Nov. 15
- Celebrations: Nov. 1
- Celebrations: Oct. 25
- Celebrations: Oct. 11
- Celebrations: Oct. 4
- Celebrations: Sept. 20
- Celebrations: Sept. 6
- Celebrations: Aug. 30
- Celebrations: Aug. 16
- Celebrations: Aug. 9