Fox Point — A local Walgreens has been given authority to install an outdoor DVD rental machine. The unprecedented nature of having a 24-7 vending machine - a first in the community - drew concern from some officials when the issue was taken up earlier this week.
Dwain Broadnax, manager of the Walgreens at 8615 N. Port Washington Road, came before the Village Board on Tuesday and sought permission to have a Redbox DVD rental machine placed outside his store.
"These are changing times, and with the loss of Blockbuster stores, we think this could provide a good neighborhood service," Broadnax said. "People have been asking for it. It's a nice feature for customers to have."
Because Broadnax's request has not been implemented in the village in the past, the board, on a 5-1 vote, approved a conditional-use permit that included a provision the rental service can be in place for six months and then revisited to see if any issues arose.
Trustee F. R. Dengel III dissented, saying he was concerned the request would set a precedent in the village with other retailers wanting to install outdoor vending machines.
Broadnax said the local Walgreens was requesting outdoor placement of the machine because there was not adequate space inside the store. Also, he said the 24-7 service, beyond store hours, would be a value to customers.
Trustee Christine Symchych said she had reservations about the after-hours aspect of the service.
"I would be concerned how it would impact the residents around it," she said.
Village President Mike West said other mechanisms, including a loitering ordinance, could be enforced if there were problems. Also, Fox Point Police routinely patrol the retail establishments along North Port Washington Road late at night, Village Manager Susan Robertson said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: September 25, 2014
- Enter Halloween contest to win tickets to Legends & Lore
- North Shore Police Reports: September 18, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: September 11, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: September 4, 2014
- Trial by fire for new Fox Point police chief
- North Shore Police Reports: August 28, 2014
- With state funding tied to enrollment, North Shore public schools turn to marketing
- North Shore Police Reports: August 21, 2014
- Voter turnout high in North Shore