Flood stage has been reached and the waters continue to rise!
In this case, the total cost thus far of renewing the Fox Point Ravine bridge has topped $3 million ($3,027,000 to be exact).
The fundraisers for the bridge are in a stall mode with only $212,000 (as if the February Village Board meeting) raised from 150 donors in a village of 6,600 residents.
The Village Board refuses to relate any cost information to the village residents on the whole.
Now they are going ahead with preparing bid documents for the demolition of the existing decaying structure. That cost alone has risen significantly!
The fundraisers have not reached their goal of $655,000 which means the seed money granted to them of $30,000 to start fundraising, in my opinion, will not be paid back as required. But they continue on with their hopeless cause.
The Village Board continues in a frame of mind to replace the bridge at all cost. This would be the second largest outlay of capital funds in village history, second only to the construction of the new police station.
Efforts by village residents to learn the facts and board procedures have been halted by board members as being "out of order." The residents cannot ask questions at a Village Board meeting!
While current economic times precipitate caution in spending, the board for some reason is willing to lay out this outlandish amount for a low priority capital project while other necessary improvements like streets, pool rehab, etc., take a back seat to something that benefits only a few residents in proximity to the bridge.
It would seem that local politics are taking a decided path!
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Video: North Shore teens find an alternative sport in hantis
- Fox Point hires new village manager
- North Shore Police Reports: June 25, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: June 18, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: June 11, 2015
- Tosa man allegedly exposed himself at Fox Point tanning salon
- North Shore Police Reports: June 4, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: May 28, 2015
- Two men charged with robbing Topper's Pizza in Fox Point at gunpoint
- North Shore Police Reports: May 21, 2015