Fox Point — Fans of the Bridge Lane footbridge will have to wait another month until a new bridge is constructed.
The footbridge was approved by trustees in early April with a cost of $876,496. Footbridge Friends, a non-profit group tasked with raising 50 percent of the funds, will contribute $515,000, which includes the reimbursement of a $30,000 loan it received from the village to help them launch their fundraising effort.
Bridge construction is expected to start no later than Aug. 25. Pier and abutment installation will last from Sept. 12 through Oct. 13, with the bridge being installed on Oct. 14 through Oct. 16. Once the path is installed on Oct. 17 through Oct. 21, there will be some additional landscaping completed before the project is considered substantially complete on Oct. 31.
The 9-foot-wide bridge will be made of Epiwood, a Brazilian hardwood, and will have hand rails made of the same material. The 4-foot-wide footpath will be expanded to 5 feet.
At an informational hearing last week, resident Bob Cory said the village's parking ordinance should be altered to allow people to park near the bridge. He said the bridge was sold as a community asset, so it should be designed to allow people come from all areas of the village.
"If I want to drive over there and park there for half an hour and stare at the sun like everybody says is so great then I don't want to get a parking ticket," he said.
Village Engineer Scott Brandmeier said a revision to the ordinance is under discussion, and will be brought to the Village Board for consideration next month.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sculptures will be protected at Mary Nohl House property (1)
- Fox Point mom fighting for esophageal cancer awareness (2)
- Fox Point approves cell tower on village property
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- Mary Nohl house in Fox Point to be restored
- North Shore teens find an alternative sport in hantis
- Fox Point hires new village manager
- North Shore Police Reports: June 25, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: June 18, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: June 11, 2015