H 52° L 36°
Cloudy | 16MPH

Fire causes damage worth half a million

Jan. 20, 2009

Firefighters had to use water tankers this afternoon to battle a blaze that caused an estimated $500,000 in damage to a home in the Village of Bayside.

No one was injured in the fire, reported shortly before 2 p.m. in the 8900 block of N. Bayside Drive, according to a press release from the North Shore Fire Department.

According to the release, the 2,900-squarefoot home was located in a section of the village that has no fire hydrants, so firefighters had to bring water tankers to the scene to fight the blaze.

Firefighters encountered heavy smoke and flames, and cold weather created a significant amount of ice on equipment.

The fire was caused by an electrical short in the living room of the home, which sustained about $330,000 in damage, North Shore Fire Department Battalion Chief Rick Boehlke said.

The blaze also caused an estimated $170,000 in damage to the contents of the home, Boehlke said.

North Shore firefighters were assisted by firefighters from Mequon, Thiensville, Menomonee Falls, and Wauwatosa at the scene of the fire.

Firefighters from West Allis, Mequon, Cedarburg, Germantown and Menomonee Falls assisted in providing fire and emergency medical services to the seven North Shore communities during the fire, according to the release.

This site uses Facebook comments to make it easier for you to contribute. If you see a comment you would like to flag for spam or abuse, click the "x" in the upper right of it. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use.

Suburban News Roundup

E-mail Newsletter

Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.

Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter
Get the Newsletter!

Login or Register to manage all your newsletter preferences.

Local Crime Map


Latest Photo Galleries