In the space of three days, the life of a promising 14-year-old Bayside girl was gone.
Laura Miller, a Nicolet High School freshman honors student, was taken by ambulance Feb. 18 to a local hospital, where doctors discovered a brain tumor. On Feb. 21, she died.
"It was a rare and highly aggressive brain tumor," Nicolet District Administrator Rick Monroe said this week.
The funeral was held Feb. 23 at Congregation Shalom, Fox Point. At school, teams of counselors were available to the students and visited Laura's classes throughout the day to help her classmates get through their loss.
"She was a sweet, hard-working, very bright and creative girl," Monroe said.
A friend, Zoe Devorkin of Fox Point said, "Laura was probably the sweetest, nicest girl I ever met."
She remembered an event when she and another friend were at a table to make peanut butter sandwiches for an activity at school.
"Laura could have been at the table with her really close friends," Zoe said, but she joined the pair who were alone.
"She was such a bright, caring kind young woman," Zoe said. "It's sad she left us."
Laura worked for the student newspaper and was on the student council.
Laura is survived by her parents, Ronald and Susan Angel Miller; sisters, Sara and Rachel; grandparents, Marvin and Sherie Miller and Jack and Helen Angel; and uncles, aunts, cousins, other relatives and friends.
Private interment was at Mound Zion Cemetery, 14510 W. North Ave., Brookfield.
Blane Goodman Funeral Service handled the arrangements.
Jane Ford-Stewart can be reached at (262) 446-6607.
Contributions can be sent to:
Laura Miller Memorial Fund
Jewish Community Foundation
1360 N. Prospect Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53202
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: August 28, 2014
- With state funding tied to enrollment, North Shore public schools turn to marketing
- North Shore Police Reports: August 21, 2014
- Voter turnout high in North Shore
- North Shore Police Reports: August 14, 2014
- Fox Point police chief retires after 18 years
- North Shore Police Reports: August 7, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: July 31, 2014
- Footbridge construction a month away in Fox Point
- Maple Dale-Indian Hill hires superintendent