League allowed to use restrooms free for two summer events
Original request for 56 dates rescinded
The Fox Point Village Board has given an outside organization permission to use village-owned facilities for free on two occasions this spring.
Glendale Little League, a local sports organization for children ages 6 to 14, initially asked the village about using restroom facilities at the Longacre Pavilion, 7343 N. Longacre Road, Mondays through Saturdays, April 27 to June 30.
The league had planned on playing games at the nearby Stormonth Elementary School baseball diamond, which is part of the Nicolet Recreation Department, on those dates.
Village Clerk Tanya O'Malley recommended the board, which met March 10, deny the request, citing concerns about Department of Public Works staff spending about an hour each day maintaining the restrooms.
"This is time and money that would otherwise be used elsewhere in the village," O'Malley wrote in a memo to the board. "Additionally, there would be some weekends where staff would be required to come in on overtime to clean the restrooms."
Having received O'Malley's recommendation in advance of the board meeting, Glendale Little League President Rodd Schneider rescinded the request and instead asked to use the restrooms Saturdays, April 25 and May 2. The league will hold games and practices at other venues on all other dates.
"We can't hold three-hour games without access to a restroom," Schneider said.
The board voted 4-1 to give the league a free pass on the two dates with several stipulations, including a provision that the league cover any costs associated with damage to the facility.
There had been discussion of charging the league $45 each date to use the restrooms, but Village President Mike West made a successful motion to waive that fee.
"These are public facilities, and this appears to be a worthy use of the facilities," West said.
Restrooms at the Longacre Pavilion generally are made available for special events, including the ice skating rink in winter and rentals in spring and summer.
Dave Fidlin can be reached at (262) 446-6603.
- Kravit, Fonstad elected to Fox Point Village Board
- Fox Point-Bayside accepts offer on Dunwood School property (6)
- As Fox Point Pool ages, village assesses options (1)
- Fox Point residents concerned about Dunwood development (5)
- Fox Point trustee candidates weigh in on future of pool, Dunwood School property
- Grocer, apartments and memory care pitched for old Dunwood School site (1)
- Emerald ash borer found in Fox Point, Thiensville
- Cat, dog killed in house fire
- Flight For Life responds to suicide attempt in Fox Point
- Fox Point woman honored for advocacy in breast cancer research