Residents of the Whitefish Bay School District are looking at a district levy increase of up to 3.37 percent for the coming 2012-13 school year.
Over 100 Whitefish Bay residents turned out and voted at the district's annual meeting Wednesday night to approve a levy of $21.8 million, which fits into a draft 2012-13 budget of $39.4 million - down about 6.7 percent from a 2011-12 budget of approximately $42.2 million.
The 3.37 percent levy increase is based on a conservative district estimate of state aid which assumes a decrease of nearly $270,000. Director of Business Services Sean Yde told attendants of the annual meeting that if earlier Department of Public Instruction estimates of state aid hold, which project an increase of approximately $200,000, the levy increase will be more in the ballpark of 1.1 percent.
According to his calculations, the conservative estimate would lead to an increase of $142 in property taxes for a home valued at $400,000. The DPI estimate would result in an increase of $46 for that same $400,000 home.
He expects that when the district receives final state aid numbers from the state on Oct. 15, the final certified levy will fall somewhere in the middle, though nearer to the DPI estimate.
"(The levy) will absolutely change when I get the (state) certified aid," said Yde. "I would expect that it's going to be much closer to the forty-six dollars than the one hundred forty-two."
- Fox Point extends hours for voter registration on June 28
- Fox Point holds open house, pool opening this weekend
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- North Shore Public Forum: Against weed killer; school district shared services
- Kravit, Fonstad elected to Fox Point Village Board
- Fox Point-Bayside accepts offer on Dunwood School property (6)
- As Fox Point Pool ages, village assesses options (1)
- Fox Point residents concerned about Dunwood development (5)
- Fox Point trustee candidates weigh in on future of pool, Dunwood School property
- Grocer, apartments and memory care pitched for old Dunwood School site (1)