Waukesha - A decision on whether a teenager accused of killing his grandfather in May is competent for the criminal case against him to proceed was delayed on Monday because the youth is changing attorneys.
Richard B. Wilson, 17, of Fox Point, is charged with first-degree intentional homicide in the May 8 slaying of Ronald Siepmann.
In June, Wilson was declared incompetent to face charges that he killed his grandfather, and Waukesha County Circuit Judge William J. Domina ordered him committed for mental health treatment.
A new competency report was filed last week and was scheduled to be discussed during a review hearing Monday afternoon. But Domina rescheduled the hearing to Wednesday after Wilson's attorney, Jennifer R. Dorow, said that Wilson's family has now retained attorney Michael Steinle to handle the case.
Siepmann, 78, a real estate developer, was found dead in a shed on the property of his Beaver Lake home in the Town of Merton. A bloody ax was nearby.
A report from a court-appointed psychologist who examined Wilson in the aftermath of the killing stated that Wilson has an active psychotic condition, but that he was likely to regain competency with treatment.
Wilson's mother told authorities investigating the homicide that Wilson was diagnosed in November with schizophrenia and had stopped taking his medication, according to the criminal complaint filed in the case.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Homestead ACT scores top North Shore
- North Shore Police Reports: Aug. 27, 2015
- Newsweek: Whitefish Bay best Wisconsin school; 30th in nation
- North Shore Police Reports: Aug. 20, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Aug. 13, 2015
- New director will usher in a new chapter at North Shore Library
- North Shore Police Reports: Aug. 6, 2015
- North Shore Police Report: July 30
- North Shore communities react to state ban on municipal home inspections at time of sale
- Whitefish Bay man allegedly charged officer with knives, screamed 'kill me' in officer-involved shooting