The former Borders Books in Fox Point would house two separate retailers that operate stores in Brookfield and want to expand into the North Shore area, under a new proposal.
The Fresh Market, a national chain of upscale specialty groceries, and locally owned Burghardt Sporting Goods, want to lease portions of the former Borders store at RiverPoint Village Shopping Center, according to plans filed with the village.
The Borders store closed in March as part of a nationwide shutdown of the chain.
Fresh Market plans to lease 21,000 square feet at 8705 N. Port Washington Road. That's on the building's upper level, facing Port Washington Road.
The Greensboro, N.C.-based chain hopes to have the store open by June, said Susan Robertson, village manager.
The plans call for 45 full-time and 45 part-time employees, she said.
Fresh Market operates 106 stores in 21 states, including a 22,000-square-foot store at the northwest corner of Brookfield Square mall.
A company spokesman declined to comment Tuesday on the planned Fox Point store.
The location is a good one for Fresh Market's targeted customer base, which tends to be affluent, said David Livingston, who operates DJL Research, a Pewaukee supermarket site consulting firm.
Burghardt would use space at 8625 N. Port Washington Road, on the lower level of the former Borders store, facing I-43. Also, the Milwaukee Ballet School, in the building's lower level with a front entrance facing Port Washington Road, would be relocated within RiverPoint Village to provide more space for Burghardt, Robertson said.
The sporting goods store, with about 20 employees, would use about 16,000 square feet, and plans to open by the holiday season, said Josh Minkin, of Alpine Commercial, who represented Burghardt in its lease negotiations.
Burghardt is family owned and has one location at 14660 W. Capitol Drive, Brookfield.
The Fresh Market and Burghardt plans were to be reviewed Tuesday by the Fox Point Plan Commission.
The Village Board is to review the plans at its Sept. 13 meeting.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Report: July 30
- North Shore communities react to state ban on municipal home inspections at time of sale
- Whitefish Bay man allegedly charged officer with knives, screamed 'kill me' in officer-involved shooting
- North Shore Police Reports: July 23, 2015
- Fox Point hires new village manager
- North Shore Police Reports: July 16, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: July 9, 2015
- North Shore 911 callers to receive lifesaving CPR instructions
- North Shore Police Reports: July 2, 2015
- Three-day bus stoppage sends North Shore riders scrambling for transportation alternatives