To have your event included in the Community Calendar, send information to Community Calendar, Community Newspapers Inc., P.O. Box 510210, New Berlin, WI 53151, fax to (262) 938-5001, or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include a telephone number to call for more information as well as which newspaper you are requesting. Information should be received by noon Thursday of the week prior to publication.
Tuesday, Jan. 16
Harry W. Schwartz Bookshops Host Deborah Tannen, author of "You're Wearing That?"; talk; 7 p.m.; 4093 N. Oakland Ave., Shorewood; call (414) 963-3111.
Thursday, Jan. 18
Harry W. Schwartz Bookshops Host Norah Vincent, author of "Self-Made Man"; talk; 7 p.m.; 4093 N. Oakland Ave., Shorewood; call (414) 963-3111.
Saturday, Jan. 20
Shorewood Public Library Hosts free international adoption seminar; 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.; 3920 N. Murry Ave.; register at (262) 796-9898 or email@example.com.
Monday, Jan. 22
Harry W. Schwartz Bookshops Host Jorg Friedrich, author of "The Fire"; talk; 7 p.m.; 2559 N. Downer Ave.; call (414) 332-1181.
Tuesday, Jan. 23
Harry W. Schwartz Bookshops Host Randall Davidson, author of "9XM Talking: WHA Radio and the Wisconsin Idea"; talk; 7 p.m.; 4093 N. Oakland Ave., Shorewood; call (414) 963-3111.
Alzheimer's Association Presents a two-day dementia specialist training course; also Jan. 30; Ozaukee County Department on Aging; to register, call (800) 272-3900; $60.
Wednesday, Jan. 24
Maple Dale-Indian Hill School District Holds registration for junior kindergarten; 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Indian Hill School, 1101 W. Brown Deer Road; birth certificate and proof of residency required at registration; (414) 351-7390 for questions.
Friday, Jan. 26
Cardinal Stritch University Presents the opening reception for "Art of the Upper Volta," from the Mark Wentzel collection; 6 to 8 p.m., displayed through Feb. 25; 6801 N. Yates Road, Northwestern Mutual Art Gallery; free.
Tuesday, Jan 30
Harry W. Schwartz Bookshops Host Ayelet Waldman, author of "Love and Other Impossible Pursuits"; reading; 7 p.m.; 10976 N. Port Washington Road, Mequon; call (262) 241-6220.
Saturday, Feb. 3
Mequon-Thiensville Education Foundation Hosts annual Tartan Ball, Celebrating the Art of Education; gala features dining, dancing, silent and live auctions, raffle; cocktail, raffle and silent auction at 6, dinner, live auction and dancing at 8 p.m.; Quadracci Pavilion, Milwaukee Art Museum; proceeds benefit foundation.
Sunday, Feb. 4
Cardinal Stritch University Presents MacDowell Club of Milwaukee in concert, featuring club members' students; 3 p.m.; Schroeder auditorium, 6801 N. Yates Road; free; call (414) 771-5832.
Sunday, Feb. 18
Cardinal Stritch University Presents MacDowell Club of Milwaukee in concert, "Romantic Composers"; 3 p.m.; Schroeder auditorium, 6801 N. Yates Road; free; call (414) 771-5832.
Friday, Feb. 23
Morning Star Productions Presents "Thunder at Dawn"; 7:30 p.m.; also Saturday, Feb. 24, and 2 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 25; Eastbrook Church, 5385 N. Green Bay Ave.; for ticket information, visit www.morningstarproductions.org or call Richard Dassow at (414) 228-5220, Ext. 249.
Friday, March 2
Morning Star Productions Presents "Thunder at Dawn"; 7:30 p.m.; also Saturday, March 3, and 2 p.m. Sunday, March 4; Eastbrook Church, 5385 N. Green Bay Ave.; for ticket information, visit www.morningstarproductions.org or call Richard Dassow at (414) 228-5220, Ext. 249.
American Cancer Society Seeks North Shore volunteers from Bayside, Fox Point, Glendale, River Hill, Shorewood and Whitefish Bay for Relay for Life planning committee; meets once a month, November to June; relay scheduled for Saturday, June 16; call Eliza Prince at (262) 312-4021.
American Business Women's Association Holds seminars fourth Tuesday; call Shirley Heintz, (262) 549-1248.
American Legion Howard J. Schroeder Post 457; 7:30 p.m. second Wednesday; 6006 W. Mequon Road; call Phil Harrison, (262) 242-4849; Tom Mohr, (262) 242-2936; or Ralph Stevens, (262) 242-2604.
Beth El Ner Tamid Synagogue 2909 W. Mequon Road, Mequon; call (262) 242-6900.
BNI Brown Deer chapter; 7 to 8:30 a.m. Fridays; Old Country Buffet, 6538 W. Brown Deer Road; to reserve, call John Corsi, (414) 354-5377.
Brown Deer Senior Citizens Club First and third Wednesdays; Algonquin School, 7841 N. 47th St.; $8 annual dues for residents, $11 nonresidents; call (414) 371-3070.
Business Network International North Shore Networkers chapter; referral network for small business professionals; Robbie's Cafe & Marketplace, 1424 W. Mequon Road; 7 to 8:30 a.m. Thursdays; call Jay Lewin, Moneyline Mortgage Co., (262) 241-9555, or Michael Kim, (262) 241-5558.
Cardinal Stritch University 6801 N. Yates Road; call (414) 410-4105
• Art of the Upper Volta, from the Mark Wentzel Collection; noon to 4 p.m. Jan. 19 through 25; opening reception 6 to 8 p.m. Friday, Jan. 26; Northwestern Mutual Art Gallery; free
• Exhibition of paintings by Terry Coffman - "Highway D," features abstract oil paintings; on display through Friday, March 30; second floor of Bonaventure Hall
Center for Creative Learning Seminars; Conference Center, 4650 N. Port Washington Road; call (414) 374-5433.
• Yoga classes with Sandy Byrne - 5:30 p.m. Mondays; $90 for six weeks
• Danceworks teaches dance techniques to children age 3 and older; creative dance, tap, jazz, ballet and hip hop; 11 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. after school and weekdays
• Israeli dancing for all ages; ongoing; 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Mondays, free
• Ballroom dance for adults, 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesdays
Community Women's Chorus Seeks new members of all ages; accompanist, too; 12:45 to 2:30 p.m. Wednesdays; Hill Point Church, 2500 W. Brown Deer Road; call Nancy, (262) 255-0866, or Kay, (414) 351-4626.
COPE Services Hotline Needs listeners 18 and older for the adult and teen lines for Ozaukee County; (262) 377-1477 to schedule informative interview.
Divorce support group Jim McKenzie, pastor and therapist with Exodus Counseling Center, hosts meetings; 7 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesdays; Fox Point Lutheran Church, 7510 N. Santa Monica Blvd.
Family Club Formerly Mother's Center; North Shore Presbyterian Church, 4048 N. Bartlett Ave., Shorewood; $25 annual membership fee; $35 for nonmembers unless otherwise noted; $10 baby-sitting fee; to register, call (414) 297-9220 .
• Coffee and Play - 9:30 to 11 a.m. Tuesdays and Fridays; first visit free
• You and Me - songs, art projects, books, games for ages 2 and 3 with mom; call to register
• Pattycake club - weekly informal get-together for parents and caregivers of infants to 12 months; 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Fridays; first visit free
• Saturday playgroup - informal get-together for parents, caregivers and children of all ages; first and third Saturday through May; first visit free
• Tunes for Tots - music and play time for ages 6 to 24 months with parents; Mondays; call to register
• Coffee and Play - weekly informal social time for parents and children of all ages; 9:30 to 11 a.m. Tuesdays and Fridays; included with yearly membership fee
Father's Night Out With an informal discussion and mutual support for fathers concerned about the need for equal parenting; women with similar interests welcome; 6 to 7:30 p.m. first Wednesday of month; Pallas Family Restaurant, 1657 S. 108th St.; (608) ALL-DADS (255-3237).
Fitness Firm Offers community exercise classes; for more information, call (262) 938-9400.
• St. Mark's Church - 5:45 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays; 2618 N. Hackett Ave.; call Janet, (414) 352-4439
• Bay Shore Lutheran Church - 8:45 a.m. Tuesdays and Friday; 1200 E. Hampton Road; $52; call Mardi, (414) 964-7056
• Lydell Community Center - 4:30 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays or 6:15 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays; 5205 N. Lydell Ave.; $50 residents, $55 nonresidents; call (414) 963-3947
• Nicolet High School - 3:45 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays; 6701 N. Jean Nicolet Road; (414) 351-7566 to register
Frank L. Weyenberg Library 11345 N. Cedarburg Road.
• Lapsit programs for 1-year-olds; 9:30 a.m. Mondays
• Storytime for 2- and 3-year-olds, 9:30 or 10:30 a.m.; register through Jan. 19; (262) 242-2593, Ext. 15
• Remote library book drops removed at Donges Bay, Range Line, Wilson and Oriole Lane Elementary schools; materials can be returned to drive-through returns in library parking lot 24/7
French Canadian/Acadian Genealogists of Wisconsin Seeks people interested in researching genealogy; doors open at 6:30 p.m., meeting at 7:30 p.m. second Thursday; basement Community Room at Mayfair Mall; enter mall at east door beneath theater; use stairs or elevator to lower level, Room G110; www.fcgw.org.
Gilda's Club Southeastern Wisconsin, 4050 N. Oakland Ave.; call (414) 962-8201.
• Support groups ongoing for families, men and women living with cancer and those who have lost a loved one to cancer
• Workshops (meditation, relaxation, gentle exercise and stretch, walk and talk, needle crafts, open art studio); call for dates
• Noogieland - activities and creative play for children; 6 to 8 p.m. Thursdays; call 48 hours in advance for reservation
Glendale Senior Citizens Club General meetings with activities; 1:30 p.m. second Wednesday; free monthly movies and tours, picnics, parties throughout year; Glen Hills Middle School, 2600 W. Mill Road; $10 annual dues; call (414) 540-2100.
Havenwoods Environmental Awareness Center 6141 N. Hopkins St.; call (414) 527-0232.
• Discovery Saturdays - Become a Nature Detective; families or groups; learn fun facts and do activities before you head out to explore park; drop by anytime 9 a.m. to noon; free
Historic Milwaukee Inc. Offers training to become Historic Milwaukee guide; includes lectures by historian John Gurda and Leona Knobloch-Nelson, Mount Mary College School of Interior Design; $200; call (414) 277-7795.
Jewish Community Center Sponsors weekly bereavement group; noon to 1:30 p.m. Wednesdays; Congregation Beth Israel, 6880 N. Green Bay Ave.; to register, call Mona Cohen, (414) 967-8249.
Jewish Community Center Classes in Mequon; basement, Beth El Ner Tamid Synagogue, 2902 Mequon Road; call Kelly Ramsak, (414) 967-8212.
Just Referrals Professional business networking group; 7:30 to 9 a.m. second Thursday; Family Table Restaurant, 6598 W. Brown Deer Road; call Don Kenner, (262) 377-7007, or Blanche Berenzwieg, (262) 241-7888.
Lake Park Lutheran Church Tuesday club hosts weekly activities, programs and monthly tours for seniors; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesdays; lunch served at noon ($5); 2647 N. Stowell Ave.; call Carol Hauer at (414) 332-5647
• Fireside Theater - "Hollywood Sings"; Friday, March 9; $79
• Fireside Theater - "Fiddler on the Roof"; Friday, May 18; $79
• Fireside Theater - "The Odd Couple"; Wednesday, July 11; $79
• Fireside Theater - "Thoroughly Modern Millie"; Friday, Oct. 5; $79
• Fireside Theater - "A Fireside Christmas"; Wednesday, Dec. 12; $79
Lakeside Community Women's chorus Seeks members of all ages; performs for senior audiences; no audition necessary; meets to practice 12:45 to 2:30 p.m. Wednesdays; Hillpoint Church, 2500 W. Brown Deer Road; call Lisa at (414) 228-1373.
La Leche League of Mequon/ Ozaukee County For meeting location, call Amy, (262) 377-6194.
Logemann Community Center 6100 W. Mequon Road; $50; call (262) 242-6435.
Lutheran Singles Open to all faiths, ages 45 and older; meet for worship, Friday fish fries and game nights; call Diana, (262) 781-7994, or John, (262) 502-0289.
LX Fox Point/Bayside Senior Center At Dunwood Center, 217 N. Dunwood Road, Fox Point; bridge and sheepshead 1 p.m. Mondays; cribbage, social games, refreshments 1 p.m. Thursdays; bridge lessons 9:30 a.m. Fridays; progressive bridge 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays; free movies twice monthly, Tuesdays.
Marqtimers Offers fitness, social hour and support for seniors; low-impact aerobics: 8:15 to 9:15 and water aerobics: 9:30 to 10:15 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays; Rec Plex, David A. Straz Jr. Tower, 915 W. Wisconsin Ave.; $27 a month for one, $47 for married couple; $4 individual class; to register, call Amy Jepson, (414) 288-7778.
Mequon Nature Preserve Seeks volunteers; 9 a.m. to noon Saturdays through Feb. 10; 8200 County Line Road; for directions, call (262) 338-1794; www.owlt.org.
Mequon-Thiensville Chamber of Commerce Call (262) 512-9358.
Mequon-Thiensville Newcomers Offers book discussion, bridge groups, garden groups, hiking and biking, cultural and volunteer activities; call Theresa, (262) 240-0880.
• Mahjong group - 1 p.m. third Tuesday; call Theresa, (262) 240-0880
Mequon-Thiensville Optimist Club Mission: service to youth; one-hour breakfast meeting 7:30 a.m. Thursdays; Schmidt & Bartelt Reception Center, just south of Donges Bay on North Port Washington Road; www.mtoptimistclub.org.
Mequon-Thiensville Postscript Social group with bridge, bowling, book club, golf, luncheons, dinners, tours; call Kay, (262) 241-4907.
Mequon-Thiensville Sunrise Rotary Club Moves weekly meeting location; 7 a.m. Fridays; Ozaukee Country Club, 10823 N. River Road; call Alice Sedgwick, (262) 243-9279.
Moms in Touch Prayer group for moms meets weekly at Mequon home to pray for children and school district; all Christian denominations welcome; call Karen, (262) 238-1238, or Patty, (262) 242-0728.
Mothers & More Second Wednesday, Cedarburg Police Station, 444 Wauwatosa Road; fourth Monday, Newcastle Place Retirement Community, 12600 N. Port Washington Road; call Robyn, (262) 238-1469.
Mothers of Multiples Cedarburg MOMs of Ozaukee County; 7 p.m. first Monday; lower level of Cedarburg Square Complex, N244 Washington Ave.; call Patti Hein, (262) 242-4663.
MOPS Mothers of Preschoolers; Christian program for mothers of children ages birth to kindergarten; guest speakers, creative arts activities, small-group discussions; 7 to 9 p.m. second and fourth Tuesdays; Crossroads Presbyterian Church; call Heather Vande Sande, (262) 375-4820, or the church, (262) 242-1670.
North Shore Elite 5750 North Glen Park Road; (414) 351-2900.
• Men's basketball league, 6:15, 7:15 and 8:15 games, Tuesdays beginning Jan. 23
• Junior Party Nights with the Bucks and Waves; Saturday, Jan. 27, and Fridays, Feb. 23, March 23, April 27 and May 5; $15 members, $20 nonmembers
North Shore Junior Woman's Club 7 p.m. fourth Tuesday; basement of Whitefish Bay Village Hall, 5300 N. Marlborough Drive; call Valerie, (414) 962-0412, or Karen, (414) 964-4373.
North Shore Public Library 6800 N. Port Washington Road, Glendale; call (414) 351-3461.
• Storytimes - ages 1 to kindergarten; register in person
• Parent/child book club - ages 6 to 8; discussion followed by group vote on next title, snack break and craft or group activity; 7 to 7:45 p.m. Thursdays
• History of the North Shore - 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Mondays for six weeks; free
Jan. 15 - Channel 6: History of Channel 6 - Dick Golembiewski, television historian
Jan. 22 - History of Badger Meter in Brown Deer
Jan. 29 - History of the Parks in the North Shore; Sue Black, Milwaukee County parks director
Feb. 5 - The Lions' Gates/Usinger & Donges; Save the Gates
Feb. 12 - History of Heinemann's Restaurants in the North Shore
North Shore Rotary Meets noon to 1:30 p.m. Mondays; Pandl's in Bayside; to network, hear speakers and have lunch; call Wes Sign, Say and Play at Defense/Works, (414) 332-0599.
Ozaukee Humane Society Offers Paws & Claws gala raffle; chance to win grand prize of 2007 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, 42-inch plasma TV (first-place prize) or $500 cash (second-place prize); raffle tickets on sale at OHS; see www.ozaukeehumane.org.
Ozaukee Ice Center 5505 W. Pioneer Road, Mequon; call (262) 375-1100.
• Public skating - 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. weekdays; 1 to 3 p.m. weekdays
• Open adult hockey - 6:45 to 8:15 a.m. Tuesdays; 6:45 to 7:45 a.m. Fridays
• Rink for figure skaters - 6:15 to 7:45 a.m. Thursday
• Learn to skate classes - age 4 through adult; 11:15 a.m. or noon Saturdays, beginning Feb. 17; $85 for six weeks; register at center daily or call Jon Sorkan at (262) 285-4023
Ozaukee Radio Club Holds monthly meetings and events; 7:30 p.m. second Wednesday; Grafton Multipurpose Senior Center; visit www.ozaukeeradioclub.org.
Ozaukee Suzuki Strings Accepts applications for new students; offers violin, viola and cello for students ages 3 through adult; choose from two experienced teachers at Mequon location; to schedule observation, call (262) 242-4384.
Ozaukee Toastmasters 3210 Meets; 6 to 8 p.m. first and third Thursdays; Heinemann's Restaurant, 2074 Washington St., Grafton.
Riveredge Hiking Club 4458 W. Hawthorne Drive, Newburg, explore hiking trails; call (262) 375-2715 (metropolitan) or (800) 287-8098; to register for hikes and to receive schedule, call LaVonne, (800) 287-8098.
Schlitz Audubon Nature Center 1111 E. Brown Deer Road; call for fees and to register, (414) 352-2880, Ext. 0.
• Raptor Saturdays! - family program for adults and children of all ages; Wisconsin native owls, hawks and falcons educate and entertain; 1 to 2 p.m. first Saturday; free to members, free to nonmembers with $4 adult admission to center
• Boomers and Beyond - half-hour social followed by program for adults 50 and older; 9 to 10:30 a.m. first Thursday
• Sky Hunters: Word with a Bird - stop in each weekend to see various birds and take a hike; 1 to 2 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays; free
• Weekend Storytelling Adventures - for parents and preschoolers; 10 to 11 a.m. second Saturday
• Bird Club - adult and teen FOSANC members only; 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. second Wednesday
• Hatha Yoga - beginning and continuing for adults; 9:15 to 10:30 a.m. or 5:45 to 7 p.m. Mondays
• Tai chi - adults; 5:45 to 6:30 p.m. Thursdays
• Relaxation/Meditation - adults; 5:45 to 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays
Shorewood Senior Resource Center Shorewood Village Center, 2010 E. Shorewood Blvd.; (414) 847-2727; Functional Fitness 10:15 to 11 a.m. ($3 residents, $5 nonresidents); center open for bridge, sheepshead, cribbage, spinner.
Shorewood yoga classes At Unique Simple Elements, an eco-friendly boutique; 8:30 a.m. Monday-Wednesday-Friday, 5:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday; 1518 E. Capitol Drive; call (414) 332-1998.
Sociable Singles Monthly meetings (second Monday) for single, widowed and divorced men and women 45 and older in Ozaukee, Washington, Waukesha and surrounding counties; Brew City Barbecue, Mequon; call Mary Ann, (262) 251-5896; Marion, (262) 338-3498; Don, (262) 644-9049; or Gloria, (262) 377-1659.
Team Women Networking Group Meets; 11:30 a.m. every other Tuesday; Cafe Forte, 10530 N. Port Washington Road, Mequon; call Janice at (414) 331-1264.
Temple Menorah Hosts Cantor Emanuel Ehrlich, Atlantic Beach, N.Y., to conduct High Holiday services; 9363 N. 76th St.; call (414) 355-1120.
• Milwaukee Club 466; second and fourth Mondays; new members welcome; call Mary Ann, (262) 242-0394, or Aven, (262) 789-9992
• Ozaukee 3210 Toastmasters; 6:30 p.m. first and third Thursdays; Heinemann's Restaurant, 2074 Washington St., Grafton; contact Jerry Kurzer, (262) 242-5466 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tree of Life Christian Preschool Begins registration for ages 2 through 4; 819 E. Silver Spring Drive, Whitefish Bay; for an application, call Laura Santilli, (414) 961-2563.
University Community Orchestra Seeks new members, no audition necessary; 7 to 9:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Jan. 24 through May 9; call the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee School of Education to sign up, (414) 229-4609, or e-mail Margery Deutsch at email@example.com.
Younger Lutheran Singles Open to all faiths, ages 21 to 45; call Karla at (414) 975-1210.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Fox Point-Bayside pitches $3.8 million referendum to voters
- North Shore school, municipal officials announce candidacy for April election
- Fox Point searches for new manager
- Fox Point footbridge rekindles memories
- Interactive North Shore school tax roundup: who's up and who's down in 2015
- Governor's race draws strong turnout on North Shore
- Fox Point village manager poised to resign after public backlash
- Fox Point residents question village leadership after seven municipal workers leave in last year
- Trial by fire for new Fox Point police chief
- With state funding tied to enrollment, North Shore public schools turn to marketing