In the most vicious act of vandalism in recent memory, according to Fox Point police, between $50,000 and $100,000 damage was done to a home in the 6700 block of North Lake Drive sometime between the morning of Feb. 2 and 11:45 a.m. Feb. 4.
Entry was gained by kicking in a rear door. Paint was splattered throughout the home, holes were kicked or punched in walls. Some of the holes were so large that sheets of insulation between wall studs were exposed.
Marble and granite countertops were torn off, kitchen cabinets and a dining room table were smashed.
A lamp was thrown through a 50-inch television set valued at $2,500. A pedestal sink was torn out and smashed, the mirror behind a bar was smashed, furniture was overturned and slashed, and mattresses were slashed.
Sinks and bathtubs were stopped up and water was left running. Four inches of water was found in the basement. In one room, there was a 12-inch bulge in the ceiling full of water. In another instance, a large bulge of water had made its way partly down a wall, held inside by paint.
"I've never seen anything like it," said veteran Fox Point Police Officer Donald Kriefall.
The house had been for sale, and a real estate agent intending to set up for an open house discovered the vandalism.
The agent had no comment.
It was not known as of press time if anything was stolen.
Police are following up leads found at the home.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Homestead ACT scores top North Shore
- North Shore Police Reports: Aug. 27, 2015
- Newsweek: Whitefish Bay best Wisconsin school; 30th in nation
- North Shore Police Reports: Aug. 20, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Aug. 13, 2015
- New director will usher in a new chapter at North Shore Library
- North Shore Police Reports: Aug. 6, 2015
- North Shore Police Report: July 30
- North Shore communities react to state ban on municipal home inspections at time of sale
- Whitefish Bay man allegedly charged officer with knives, screamed 'kill me' in officer-involved shooting