Funding for the native prairie behind Indian Hill Elementary School, 1101 W. Brown Deer Road, River Hills, is in limbo because the $5,000 grant that has supported maintenance and improvement for many years is no longer available.
The Facilities and Finance Committee of the Maple Dale-Indian High School District on Feb. 20 decided to recommend that the School Board set aside enough money to keep the prairie neat, while the committee looks into other funding options.
James Beckmann, director of buildings and grounds, said of the prairie, "It's probably in a spot where it's maintaining itself without doing that much."
Members discussed whether the wetland area near the school, with its pond and native plantings that also had been created as an educational resource, should be rehabilitated.
"It is a more usable area than the prairie," Beckmann said.
The committee directed him to work with volunteer landscape architect John LaPoint to come up with a plan for how much could be done for the wetland and prairie for various amounts of funding.
Beckmann may come back to the committee in April with alternatives.
The wetland had been created with a grant from Ducks Unlimited.
- Jane Ford, Staff Writer
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Fox Point-Bayside pitches $3.8 million referendum to voters
- North Shore school, municipal officials announce candidacy for April election
- Fox Point searches for new manager
- Fox Point footbridge rekindles memories
- Interactive North Shore school tax roundup: who's up and who's down in 2015
- Governor's race draws strong turnout on North Shore
- Fox Point village manager poised to resign after public backlash
- Fox Point residents question village leadership after seven municipal workers leave in last year
- Trial by fire for new Fox Point police chief
- With state funding tied to enrollment, North Shore public schools turn to marketing