Because the Milwaukee County Board overrode most of County Executive Chris Abele's vetoes of the 2012 budget, the North Shore Fire Department will receive $180,000 of supplemental money for its paramedic program. Abele's budget eliminated a $3 million supplemental payment made to fire departments in the county. Under Abele's budget the North Shore Fire Department would have received no funds for its paramedic program.
The County Board restored half of the funding and decided to follow the distribution formula developed by the Intergovernmental Cooperation Council after earlier considering a formula change.
Although not the $362,000 the department had expected when developing its 2012 budget, Fire Chief Robert Whitaker said today that staff and the union are working on ways to make up the remaining deficit.
Whitaker said he does not anticipate any job losses or layoffs.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: April 30, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: April 23, 2015
- Mary Nohl house will stay in Fox Point
- North Shore Police Reports: April 16, 2015
- Tornado watch in effect
- North Shore Police Reports: April 9, 2015
- Voters send message of change in Fox Point
- North Shore Police Reports: April 2, 2015
- For those with Down syndrome, Gigi's in Fox Point is more than a playhouse
- North Shore Police Reports: March 26, 2015