Dickman wins write-in bid for Fox Point-Bayside School Board
Incumbent David Smulyan and challenger Dann Jacobson also elected
Bayside — The Fox Point-Bayside School Board will have two new faces in Max Dickman and Dann Jacobson.
Dickman and Jacobson will fill the seats of former School Board President Alice Lawton and former board member Tim Melchert. Incumbent David Smulyan, who was appointed to an interim term in June, was elected to his first three-year term Tuesday night.
Jacobson, a social studies teacher at Nicolet High School, announced his candidacy in January. Dickman later waged a write-in campaign to fill the vacant third seat.
Dickman, a real estate development manager at Roundy's Supermarkets, has a daughter in second grade at Stormonth School and a son in seventh grade at Bayside Middle School. A Bayside resident of seven years, Dickman has previously served on the Bayside Board of Zoning Appeals.
Dickman said he ran for School Board because he wanted to work with board members and Superintendent Vance Dalzin in improving communication and transparency in the district.
"(Dalzin) is good at communicating to principals, who can then communicate to teachers," Dickman said. "Tough decisions have to be made, but I think it's important they are made with advance notice and a clear mission."
HOW THEY VOTED
David Smulyan (i): 600 votes
Dann Jacobson: 650 votes
Max Dickman: 171 votes
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Emerald ash borer found in Fox Point, Thiensville
- Cat, dog killed in house fire
- Flight For Life responds to suicide attempt in Fox Point
- Fox Point woman honored for advocacy in breast cancer research
- 17-year-old boy injured in Fox Point crash
- 100-foot cell tower will be erected in Fox Point
- Sculptures will be protected at Mary Nohl House property (1)
- Fox Point mom fighting for esophageal cancer awareness (2)
- Fox Point approves cell tower on village property
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015