Fox Point — Vance Dalzin, current superintendent of the Williams Bay School District in Walworth County, was selected unanimously by the School Board to become the district’s new superintendent, according to a district news release.
He will succeed superintendent Rachel Boechler in August. In January Boechler announced her resignation to continue her work with Seattle-based nonprofit Center for Courage & Renewal, where she is currently board chair.
Working with search firm Hazard Young & Attea, the district began with a pool of 28 candidates, six of whom were interviewed. The School Board interviewed Dalzin twice and a group of district teachers, administrators, support staff and parents interviewed him once. Stakeholders in Williams Bay were interviewed as well.
“Dr. Dalzin told us he was attracted to our position because of the district’s tradition of high student achievement and its progressive approach to educating students,” School Board President Debbie Friberg said in the release.
Dalzin grew up in the Milwaukee area and earned his bachelor’s degree at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater. He completed his graduate studies at University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Edgewood College in Madison. He was an assistant principal and later high school principal at the Wilmot Union High School District before becoming superintendent of Williams Bay in 2011.
“Obviously Fox Point Bayside is an attractive district, a high achieving district with progressive things, but I was really sold when I visited the schools,” Dalzin said, addressing the community at a School Board meeting Tuesday. “I watched faculty and staff interact with kids. I watched a lot of care and concern, and I saw an elementary principal who knew every kid by name who walked by.”
Dalzin begins in August with a starting salary of $139,000.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: October 23, 2014
- Fox Point residents question village leadership after seven municipal workers leave in last year
- North Shore Police Reports: October 16, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: October 9, 2014
- Woman reports man tried to scam her by fishing for personal information
- North Shore Police Reports: October 2, 2012
- North Shore Police Reports: September 25, 2014
- Enter Halloween contest to win tickets to Legends & Lore
- North Shore Police Reports: September 18, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: September 11, 2014