Green space used by recently retired professional baseball player Craig Counsell during his formative years is being named in his honor.
The Whitefish Bay Village Board last night voted to name a site Craig Counsell Park. The venue, located along Lydell Avenue, has informally been referred to as Water Tower Park over the years.
Counsell, a Whitefish Bay native, played baseball at Water Tower and Cahill parks as a youth. He currently lives in the community with his wife, Michelle, and his four children.
Counsell made his Major League Baseball debut in 1995 with the Colorado Rockies and retired at the end of the 2011 season as a member of the Milwaukee Brewers - the team he played for throughout most of his career.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: April 23, 2015
- Mary Nohl house will stay in Fox Point
- North Shore Police Reports: April 16, 2015
- Tornado watch in effect
- North Shore Police Reports: April 9, 2015
- Voters send message of change in Fox Point
- North Shore Police Reports: April 2, 2015
- For those with Down syndrome, Gigi's in Fox Point is more than a playhouse
- North Shore Police Reports: March 26, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: March 19, 2015