Over the objections of neighbors, the Mequon Plan Commission this week approved plans for a 96-unit senior apartment complex called Riverwalk Highlands for 10908 N. Cedarburg Road. The complex will have one- and two-bedroom apartments, a community center, exercise room and library.
About five years ago a different developer proposed condominium development, River Trace, for the site which, at that time, was zoned for business.
Several residents addressed a zoning change made at that time to allow for condominiums rather than office space. The zoning change was made conditioned on approval of the condominium plans. They were approved although not built.
According to Assistant Community Development Director Jac Zader, the zoning change stands although the condominiums were not built.
A new developer, United Financial Group, asked for apartments which are allowed under the institutional zoning approved five years ago.
The Plan Commission, by a 6-2 vote Monday night, is allowing the apartment proposal to proceed. Commission Member David Romoser said that while he understands the neighbors objections, the proposal is in line with suggestions made recently by a task force that looked at ways to bring residents and businesses to the Mequon-Thiensville area.
One of the recommendations was the creation of housing in the city for seniors. Romoser was a co-chairman of the task force.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Emerald ash borer found in Fox Point, Thiensville
- Cat, dog killed in house fire
- Flight For Life responds to suicide attempt in Fox Point
- Fox Point woman honored for advocacy in breast cancer research
- 17-year-old boy injured in Fox Point crash
- 100-foot cell tower will be erected in Fox Point
- Sculptures will be protected at Mary Nohl House property (1)
- Fox Point mom fighting for esophageal cancer awareness (2)
- Fox Point approves cell tower on village property
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015