Elected bodies in Glendale, Shorewood and Whitefish Bay recently began preliminary talks in consolidating police services in the three communities.
The Glendale Common Council took the issue up Monday.
While a consolidated department could net savings in an environment of ongoing fiscal restraints, Glendale Mayor Jerry Tepper said the review process will be thorough.
"Some of this is territorial since we've all got to make sure that we're being taken care of," Tepper said. "We're not going to sacrifice that for money. We're being cautious and moving along carefully."
If preliminary talks do advance, City Administrator Richard Maslowski said public input would be taken into account.
"There would be a series of public hearings ... before anything is ever considered," Maslowski said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: May 21, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: May 14, 2015
- Winter's not through with us yet
- North Shore Police Reports: May 7, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: April 30, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: April 23, 2015
- Mary Nohl house will stay in Fox Point
- North Shore Police Reports: April 16, 2015
- Tornado watch in effect
- North Shore Police Reports: April 9, 2015