Elected bodies in Glendale, Shorewood and Whitefish Bay recently began preliminary talks in consolidating police services in the three communities.
The Glendale Common Council took the issue up Monday.
While a consolidated department could net savings in an environment of ongoing fiscal restraints, Glendale Mayor Jerry Tepper said the review process will be thorough.
"Some of this is territorial since we've all got to make sure that we're being taken care of," Tepper said. "We're not going to sacrifice that for money. We're being cautious and moving along carefully."
If preliminary talks do advance, City Administrator Richard Maslowski said public input would be taken into account.
"There would be a series of public hearings ... before anything is ever considered," Maslowski said.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- North Shore Police Reports: September 18, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: September 11, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: September 4, 2014
- Trial by fire for new Fox Point police chief
- North Shore Police Reports: August 28, 2014
- With state funding tied to enrollment, North Shore public schools turn to marketing
- North Shore Police Reports: August 21, 2014
- Voter turnout high in North Shore
- North Shore Police Reports: August 14, 2014
- Fox Point police chief retires after 18 years