Shorewood administrators presented recommendations on the district's 2012-13 budget at a School Board meeting Tuesday. The proposed budget of more than $22 million calls for a number of reductions and additions that add up to a surplus of $167,416 that could be designated into the fund balance for future years.
Without touching the budget, district officials project a deficit of $429,947 - a figure reflecting a combination of factors, including increasing enrollment and declining income from the state.
Administrators have proposed a series of reductions and efficiencies totaling $933,735 that offset the deficit. The list includes savings incurred from health and dental insurance through a competitive bidding process and a few staffing reductions, some enrollment driven.
At the same time, administrators are requesting permission to add a number of new line items totaling $371,459 into the budget. New expenditures include a proposal to hire a development director at a $75,000 cost to assist with future fundraising initiatives. A number of staffing increases are also in the proposed budget.
The district also is planning to add five Open Enrollment seats, resulting in $35,087 in projected income.
The budget remains tentative for several months. The School Board is planning two community meetings in April to obtain resident feedback.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Emerald ash borer found in Fox Point, Thiensville
- Cat, dog killed in house fire
- Flight For Life responds to suicide attempt in Fox Point
- Fox Point woman honored for advocacy in breast cancer research
- 17-year-old boy injured in Fox Point crash
- 100-foot cell tower will be erected in Fox Point
- Sculptures will be protected at Mary Nohl House property (1)
- Fox Point mom fighting for esophageal cancer awareness (2)
- Fox Point approves cell tower on village property
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015