Whitefish Bay officials are reviewing a 10-year capital improvement plan - an important lynchpin toward the road to addressing upgrades in the sanitary sewer system that resulted in flooding nearly two years ago during torrential rainfall.
Tentatively, the village is planning to borrow about $100 million in the years ahead to fund improvements to the sanitary sewer system, as well as water utility infrastructure and streets.
The village has contracted with financial advisory firm Ehlers and Associates to hash over financial options for the impending work. Company representative Mike Harrigan reviewed some of the details at a Village Board meeting Monday night.
One of the most scrutinized aspects of this week's discussion focused on funding options. Village officials are grappling with implementing a storm water utility fee - a figure that would be determined based on a variety of factors, including the square footage of a property.
Over time, Herrigan said property tax payers could incur an increase of $1.42 per $1,000 of assessed value to fund the improvements without a storm water utility. With a current rate of 81 cents per $1,000 of assessed value, this would increase the amount to $2.23 per $1,000 of assessed value. The figure only represents the municipal portion of a village taxpayer's bill and only takes into account the money earmarked for funding improvements.
The board and administrators will further hash over details during a special meeting scheduled for 6 p.m. June 25 at Village Hall, 5300 N. Marlborough Drive.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- Mary Nohl house in Fox Point to be restored
- North Shore teens find an alternative sport in hantis
- Fox Point hires new village manager
- North Shore Police Reports: June 25, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: June 18, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: June 11, 2015
- Tosa man allegedly exposed himself at Fox Point tanning salon
- North Shore Police Reports: June 4, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: May 28, 2015