Whitefish Bay is the latest community in Wisconsin looking to become a Bird City USA community, with backing by the Whitefish Bay Garden Club and Whitefish Bay Civic Foundation.
Bird City USA is Bayside-based organization that was created a year ago through participation with the Milwaukee Audubon Society. It is designed to promote bird conservation by working with member municipalities to examine best practices for bird habitats.
Designees hold a ceremonial event that includes a plaque presentation and educational events. To qualify, a municipality needs to pay $100 annually and go through a comprehensive application process.
The Village Board approved moving forward with the application process Monday with the caveat the membership fee be split in thirds between the Garden Club, Civic Foundation and the village's operating budget.
- Fox Point extends hours for voter registration on June 28
- Fox Point holds open house, pool opening this weekend
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee in 2016
- North Shore Public Forum: Against weed killer; school district shared services
- Kravit, Fonstad elected to Fox Point Village Board
- Fox Point-Bayside accepts offer on Dunwood School property (6)
- As Fox Point Pool ages, village assesses options (1)
- Fox Point residents concerned about Dunwood development (5)
- Fox Point trustee candidates weigh in on future of pool, Dunwood School property
- Grocer, apartments and memory care pitched for old Dunwood School site (1)