Once more, with feeling.
That'll be the case Thursday night at 7 p.m. back at the Kennedy Middle School Fields, when the North Shore Conference Germantown softball team will host archrival Homestead in a WIAA sectional final, with a berth in the state tournament on the line.
The Warhawks advanced to the sectional final behind Amanda Witzlib's 13 strikeouts and Addy Green's two-run home run with a 3-1 sectional semifinal decision Monday night over another North shore rival Nicolet.
The sectional final will be a replay of last season. The scenario will be exactly the same too, as last year, the Warhawks beat the Highlanders twice during the regular season only to have Homestead edge them in the sectional final.
And once again, Germantown has edged Homestead in two thrillers this season en route to an unbeaten North Shore Conference campaign. Germantown will enter with a record of 21-4, while the Highlanders will come in at 19-5. The Highlanders advanced with a 6-3 victory Monday night against Brookfield Central.
Germnantown co-coach Amy Barbiaux said last year's failure in the sectional final is "Still fresh" in the minds of the Warhawk players.
'We'll be ready for this," she said. "We're right where we want to be."
As they were against the resurgent Nicolet team (13-12). Green smacked a two-run homer in the fourth to break open a 0-0 tie. Nicolet managed to push across Edyn Herbert with their only run in the top of the sixth, but Germantown got it back on Alexa Bechler's RBI fielder's choice in the bottom of the frame.
Witzlib, who allowed only three hits and one walk on the night, put the side down in order in the seventh.
Green would finish with two hits on the night while Witzlib herself had a hit and scored two runs and Sarah Artz also had a hit.
"We hit the ball well tonight," said Barbiaux. "We didn't score a lot of runs, but we did hit the ball. Amanda had a great game tonight pitching. She had great location and terrific velocity tonight. She had a no-hitter going into the middle innings."
Nicolet pitcher Amanda Mehl scattered six hits with three strikeouts and two walks.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Homestead girls soccer team holds on, 2-1, over Nicolet
- Germantown girls basketball team clinches share of second NSC crown
- Whitefish Bay girls overpower Nicolet on senior night, 56-34
- Motivated Germantown wrestlers beat Nicolet, 63-15
- Homestead boys shutout Nicolet in third quarter in 65-30 rout
- Wolf comes home as Homestead girls hoops team beat Nicolet, 51-41
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Whitefish Bay boys soccer team holds on to beat Nicolet, 2-1
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 8
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 7