Alternative Christmas Market to be held Sunday, December 5, 2010, 9:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. at North Shore Presbyterian Church, 4048 N. Bartlett Ave., Shorewood, Wis.
Holiday shoppers can spread the joy of the holidays to those in need while checking names of their holiday gift lists at the Alternative Christmas Market hosted by North Shore Presbyterian Church in Shorewood. The third annual event, to be held on Sunday, December 5, will feature representatives from more than a dozen non-profit organizations and agencies who will share information and “sell” charitable services that can be purchased and given as holiday gifts.
Shoppers can select from unique gift items from each organization, such as hot meals for 25 people at a Milwaukee soup kitchen, an emergency life pack for a family hit by disaster, or a day’s supply of clean drinking water for 400 kids. Specially designed gift cards with an enclosure describing the charitable organization the gift supports will also be available.
“The event fills a need for those looking for less materialistic holiday giving,” said Nancy Theoharis, organizer of the Alternative Christmas Market. “Instead of buying more things, shoppers will have the chance to help people and make a difference in the community…to help the unseen and the unheard.”
This year's Alternative Christmas Market will featue charitable gifts from more than a dozen Milwaukee area nonprofit organizations and agencies, including:
Badger Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired
Church World Service
Hunger Task Force
Interfaith Earth Network
Literacy Services of Wisconsin
Our Next Generation
Peace Learning Center of Milwaukee
Presbyterian Disaster Assistance
Repairers of the Breach
WAVE (Wisconsin Anti-Violence Education)
Windlake School – Seeds of Health
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Join the Fun at Mequon's Winter Wonderland
- After School Storytimes at the North Shore Library
- 2015 GET FIT Workshop - McGovern Senior Center
- Nicolet Rec. Dept. Winter/Spring Registration Info
- Bartelt Hosts Hunger Task Force Food Drive
- Special Exhibits And Displays Showcased at Holiday Folk Fair International
- Local historian presents Milwaukee's surprising political history at Newcastle Place
- Glendale's Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony to Feature 40-Foot Live Basalm Tree
- Explore The Art in Horticulture at Holiday Folk Fair International
- Rotary Breakfast With Santa