The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Announces Paul Westrick As Scenic Shore 150 Committee Chair
The Wisconsin chapter of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society named Paul Westrick committee chair of its 2011 Scenic Shore 150 Bike Tour. The 19th annual two day, 150 mile bike ride takes place each summer to raise money for cancer research and patient services.
The Scenic Shore 150 takes its riders through some of the most scenic roads in the state. Starting in Mequon, WI and finishing in Sturgeon Bay, WI, riders cycle along Lake Michigan’s shoreline and enjoy a volunteer supported route with rest stops, bicycle support, and other amenities. The ride will take place July 23rd and 24th.
“The Scenic Shore 150 is a major fundraising event, and is very effective in supporting LLS’s patient services and cancer research” said Paul Westrick, newly named head of the committee chair. “As a blood cancer survivor, it’s inspiring to see the mission of LLS come alive along the ride and see all the other survivors and their families, and those who ride in honor of loved ones.”
The funds raised through corporate and individual contributions help to find cures and better therapies for leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin disease and myeloma, and to provide information, education and support for patients and their families.
“We’ve made advances and we need to continue to make advances. An event like Scenic Shore 150 helps us keep making those advances,” said Westrick.
Westrick, a blood cancer survivor of 13 years, has participated in the ride for several years before becoming committee chair. Currently serving as Vice President of Mission Integration & Advocacy for Columbia St. Mary's Health System, he is also a cyclist enthusiast.
“I’m not always disciplined with exercise, and the Scenic Shore 150 motivates me to be active,” Westrick said. “I mark it on my calendar every year, and it gives me the encouragement to train.”
Westrick went on to say that the Scenic Shore 150 can inspire people of all sizes, shapes, and backgrounds to exercise and be healthy. “This is an event everyone can take part in and know that they are also helping make a difference in blood cancer patient lives,” he said.
Every year, Westrick creates a team of friends and family, and the team completes the ride together. Riding in a team, he said, is a great way to enjoy the social aspects of the ride as well as the physical ones.
For more information or to register for the Scenic Shore 150 Bike Tour visit www.lls.org/wi/ss150.
- PNC Bank Veterans Offer Up Advice to Fellow Veterans at Recruit Military Career Fair
- BloodCenter CEO announces retirement
- Small Appliances Make a Big Impact at Appliance Gallery
- June 10 reception Reveals New Exhibitions at Cedarburg Art Museum
- Concordia Student Makes 6,500 Mile Journey To Commencement
- MCW receives $6.8 million U.S. Army grant to research neck, spine and brain safety in the military
- Are you looking for great affordable day care option?
- Concordia University's Handbell Choir To Embark on 30th Annual Spring Tour
- Spring Festival at Polonia Sport Club
- 8th Annual Nicolet High School All-Sports Booster Club Golf Outing