2nd Annual Marrow Donor Registration Drive and Fundraiser
BloodCenter of Wisconsin will coordinate a marrow donor registration drive and fundraiser with the Grafton High School Icehawks and Northshore Hockey Tournament on Saturday, January 11, 2014, from noon to 5 p.m. The registration drive will be held at the Ozaukee Ice Center, 5505 Pioneer Road, Mequon.
Every year, more than 35,000 children and adults in the United States are diagnosed with life-threatening diseases, such as leukemia or lymphoma. For many of them, receiving healthy marrow and/or blood stem cell transplants is their only chance for survival.
People of all ethnic groups are encouraged to join the national marrow donor registry, Be The Match. Donors of all ethnic groups are critical because patients have the best chance of finding a match within their own race. The process, including paperwork, takes approximately 15 minutes.
Joining the registry is simple. Basic requirements for registering to be a potential donor include being between the ages of 18 and 44, in general good health and willing to be available if identified as a match for a patient in need. Once a health history form is completed, a mouth swab test is given. The swabs are tested to determine tissue type and individuals are only contacted if identified as a match.
BloodCenter of Wisconsin is Wisconsin’s local connection to the National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP), which helps connect volunteer donors around the country with patients who need transplants. For more information regarding marrow registration eligibility and how to join the registry, please contact BloodCenter of Wisconsin’s Marrow Donor Program at (866) 702-HOPE (4673) or visit www.bcw.edu/marrow.
About BloodCenter of Wisconsin
BloodCenter of Wisconsin is a not-for-profit organization that specializes in blood services, organ and tissue recovery, marrow donation and education, diagnostic testing, medical services and leading-edge research. BloodCenter of Wisconsin is the only provider of blood to hospitals in 29 Wisconsin counties. BloodCenter of Wisconsin advances patient care by delivering life-saving solutions grounded in unparalleled medical and scientific expertise. For more information, visit www.bcw.edu.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Inspired by a Home Improvement Show? Do Your Homework.
- Local Author Shares Candid Insights, Wisdom, and Humor on Personal Fight with ALS in New Book – “Mom, You Peed On My Foot!”
- FREE Kids Menorah Building Workshop at Home Depot
- Celebrate Chanukah Night at the Bucks
- Nicolet Recreation Department Recgram - Upcoming Programs
- Join us for the Whitefish Bay Holiday Stroll!
- 13-Year-Old to Attempt to Break World Record at Holiday Folk Fair 5K Run
- Mequon Nature Preserve Receives Community Partner of the Year Award
- Glendale’s Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony to Feature 40-foot Live Balsam Tree
- Local Contractor Joins Campaign for Hunger Relief