Authors Barbara Manger and Janine Smith will be hosting a book signing for a new book entitled Mary Nohl: Inside & Outside on Thursday, June 4 from 7-8 p.m. at Boswell Books, 2559 North Downer Avenue.
Then on Thursday, June 11 at 6:30 p.m., the two authors will be making a live presentation sponsored by the Northshore Historical Society entitled “The Life of Mary Nohl Inside & Outside” at the Northshore Library, 6800 N. Port Washington Road. It will be followed by a book signing.
The recently released book, which was funded by the Greater Milwaukee Foundation, is meant to help people to fully understand this remarkable outsider artist whose Fox Point residence was the source of many local legends and much attention.
The book offers the first comprehensive look of Mary Nohl’s unusual life (1914-2001) through the eyes of author and friend, Barbara Manger, who went through volumes of Nohl’s diaries and sketches to gain insight into her life. It also contains 310 photos from throughout Nohl’s lifetime, as well as photos of her artwork from both the inside and outside of her home. The delightful coffee table book was skillfully designed by Janine Smith.
When Nohl died in 2001, she left her house and personal collection to the Kohler Foundation to make sure that it would remain intact. She also left her personal estate, valued at $11.3 million, to the Greater Milwaukee Foundation (GMF). Today, the GMF’s Mary Nohl Foundation helps organizations in providing arts for children, supports art centers, as well as provides scholarships and assistance to individual artists, at a time when many other resources have been reduced or discontinued.
All proceeds from the book sale will go to Mary Nohl Collection at the John Michael Kohler Arts Center.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wisconsin Kitchen Mart Suggests Solutions for Your Pets in the Kitchen
- North Shore Congregational Church to Host Church-Wide Rummage Sale
- Seniors Trip to Brewers-Dodgers Game
- Meijer Announces Job Openings for Grafton and Kenosha Supercenters
- International Institute of Wisconsin to Host Annual World Citizen Celebration Dinner
- Industry Expert: Prevent Fires. Clean Dryer Vents.
- "Maps & America" Lecture Looks at American Pictorial Maps 1920-1970
- Friends of UWM Golda Meir Library Used Book Sale Dates Set
- Nicolet Rec. Dept. Upcoming Programs
- Appliance Gallery Announces New Product Availability