As if just being a firefighter isn’t heroic enough, 95 firefighters from around the state lugged 75 pounds of gear up the entire 1034 steps of the US Bank Building in downtown Milwaukee to raise funds for the American Lung Association in Wisconsin (ALA.W) in the 2010 Fight For Air Climb. Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield United was the event’s Presenting Sponsor.
Coming from as far away as Dane County, 19 firefighter teams participated in this year’s Firefighter Challenge and raised a total of $17,643 to support the Lung Association’s mission of savings lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease. In the Firefighter Challenge, teams of five or more members race up the stairs in full gear, competing for the fastest team time.
The North Shore Fire Department took second place with a time of 10:37. Team members included Timothy Keller, Eric Wasserman,Jeremy Boehlke, Cal Chapman, Jenna Ladowski and Mark Hoffman. The team also raised $765.
“We couldn’t be more amazed by the courage and strength shown by the firefighters,” said Sue Swan, Executive Director of the ALA.W. “It’s quite a challenge just to make it to the top. To do it with 75 pounds of extra gear is nothing short of phenomenal.”
This year’s Climb raised a total of $240,00 for programs and services in Wisconsin to help people breathe easier.
The Fight For Air Climb is held every year in spring. The 2011 Climb will be take place on March 19.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Cornerstone Community Bank to Host FREE Shred Events
- Stritch Community Orchestra seeks additional musicians
- Appliance Gallery Offers Tips for Getting the Most Out of Your Dishwasher
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin Announces 14th Annual Big League Blood Drive
- Local Soccer Players Awarded Honor
- Homeopathic Doctor to Open Elements Massage in Mequon
- Missing Cat off Lake Dr
- Nicolet Rec. Dept. - Registration For Flag Football Now Available
- Scathain Opening Online Store
- Wisconsin Kitchen Mart Suggests Ways for Homeowners to Keep Their Kitchen Remodel on Budget