ASPIRING YOUNG BALLET STARS TAKE THE STAGE WITH AN INTERNATIONAL FLAIR
Dancers from Milwaukee Ballet’s Summer Intensive Program showcase their talents
Milwaukee Ballet’s Emergence
This summer, some special young stars have been tirelessly stomping, clapping, jumping, twirling, rolling and soaring in hopes of advancing their dreams of becoming professional ballet dancers. These emerging dancers will take the stage at the Wilson Center Friday, July 30 to show off their hard work.
About 150 pre-professional dancers were accepted into Milwaukee Ballet’s Summer Intensive Program. Ranging in age from 11 to 24, and hailing from more than 20 states and four countries, including Japan, Australia, Brazil, and the Philippines, these aspiring dancers use a summer intensive program to gain strength and stamina while refining their technique and artistry. During the six week intensive program, students dance as much as during 4-5 months of regular lessons. Spending this much time in the studio also helps students to see if the ballet lifestyle is right for them.
One of the highlights of the Summer Intensive Program is the Style Classes. This summer, African, Modern, Spanish and Musical Theatre were featured each week, giving the students a chance to learn new movement, hear new music and challenge their own limits as dancers. There is a distinct Latin flair within this year's program, which adds to the international cast of characters already part of Milwaukee Ballet.
Emergence is the culmination of the program, giving the dancers the opportunity to take their talents to the stage. The performances will feature classical and contemporary works by Rolando Yanes, Nadia Thompson, Denis Malinkine, Monica Isla, Alyce Keaggy-Brinkman, Leslie Woodies, Roxy Kess, Rolando Pacheco.
Thursday, July 29
Friday, July 30
4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
Sharon Lynne Wilson Center for the Arts 19805 W. Capitol Drive, Brookfield
Emergence tickets are $25 for adults and $15 for children ages 3-12. Children under three are free. To purchase tickets, call 262-781-9470 or visit www.wilson-center.com. For more information about the performance and Milwaukee Ballet’s Summer Intensive Program, visit www.milwaukeeballetschool.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Join the Fun at Mequon's Winter Wonderland
- After School Storytimes at the North Shore Library
- 2015 GET FIT Workshop - McGovern Senior Center
- Nicolet Rec. Dept. Winter/Spring Registration Info
- Bartelt Hosts Hunger Task Force Food Drive
- Special Exhibits And Displays Showcased at Holiday Folk Fair International
- Local historian presents Milwaukee's surprising political history at Newcastle Place
- Glendale Seniors' Holiday Party
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee Kicks Off Click For Kids Online Toy Drive
- Miranda Cecsarini will appear in Milwaukee Rep Theater's production of A Christmas Carol